The premise of heated tobacco (HT) is simple – it’s tobacco – but heated, not burned.
Using controlled heating, these devices produce an aerosol from a reconstituted stick of tobacco leaf containing nicotine and flavours. This aerosol contains far fewer and lower levels of the harmful chemicals present in combustible cigarette smoke.
As HT satisfies the combination of complex behavioural rituals, sensorial cues and nicotine delivery involved in the smoking experience, evidence from across the world suggests these devices are proving highly effective at transitioning more adult smokers, who would otherwise continue to smoke, away from combustible cigarettes.
Numerous public health agencies recognise HT’s significant tobacco harm reduction potential. You can view a brochure detailing the totality of our science to-date on the system here.
Please note the following scientific research was conducted on our original Pulze+iD system. The 3D model represents our current device, Pulze 2.0.
1. Pre-market data suggests adult smokers believe using the Pulze+iD system presents lower risks (including specific smoking-related diseases) compared to combustible cigarettes. Equally, both adult smokers and non-users alike correctly recognise Pulze is not risk-free.
2. Pulze’s inside-out heating technology warms the tobacco – contained in its iD tobacco consumable – to a pre-defined temperature: either 315°C in eco mode or 345°C in standard mode. This heats without burning the tobacco, creating an inhalable aerosol.
3. This aerosol contains the nicotine, flavours and aromas adult smokers desire, alongside far fewer and lower levels of the harmful chemicals present in combustible cigarette smoke. In fact, certain select toxicants of public health interest are reduced by an average of 96%.
4. These fewer and lower levels of toxicants translate into less toxicity to cells. Laboratory tests demonstrate the aerosol produced from Pulze and its iD tobacco consumable is between 87-99% less cytotoxic, mutagenic and genotoxic compared to combustible cigarette smoke.
5. Pulze and its iD tobacco consumables are acceptable to adult smokers as a satisfying alternative to combustible cigarettes while simultaneously having very low non-smoker appeal.
6. Using the Pulze+iD system does not present any air quality issues to bystanders when exhaled aerosol emissions are compared to workplace or general indoor air quality standards. Comprised of 75-85% water, the exhaled aerosol droplets evaporate quickly, disappearing 10 seconds after a puff.
Widely used as an alternative to combustible cigarettes amongst adult smokers since around 2010, vapes are one of the most popular Next Generation Products (NGPs).
Vapes heat an e-liquid (composed of propylene glycol and/or glycerol and may contain flavourings and nicotine) to produce an aerosol which the user inhales. Vapes don’t burn tobacco to release nicotine; in fact they don’t contain any tobacco leaf at all. The aerosol they produce contains much fewer and substantially lower levels of the harmful chemicals present in combustible cigarette smoke.
Please note the following scientific research was conducted on our original myblu device. The 3D model represents blu 2.0.
1. Adult smokers and non-users alike understand that, though not risk-free, myblu is potentially less harmful than combustible cigarettes for adult smokers.
2. Research shows that myblu aerosols contain up to 99% lower levels of select toxicants of public health interest compared to combustible cigarette smoke.
3. Laboratory (i.e. in vitro) tests suggest myblu e-liquids and aerosols are substantially less cytotoxic, mutagenic and genotoxic compared to combustible cigarette smoke. In some cases they show reductions of around 99% − if they display any in vitro toxic effect at all.
4. Adult smokers who partially or completely substitute cigarettes with myblu experience substantial reductions in biomarkers of exposure to select harmful chemicals over a short period of time. The greatest reductions are observed in adult smokers who transition to myblu completely (average 84% reduction across 14 non-nicotine biomarkers of exposure after 14 days). Conversely, resuming the exclusive smoking of combustible cigarettes rapidly results in the reversal of these reductions in exposure to harmful chemicals.
5. myblu efficiently delivers nicotine to the blood of adult smokers but doesn’t exceed that of a combustible cigarette. This blood nicotine delivery is satisfying for adult smokers, reducing their desire to smoke.
6. After 12 months, over 50% of adult smokers used myblu to completely replace combustible cigarette smoking.
7. Use of myblu by vulnerable populations is very low. There’s no evidence suggesting myblu serves as a gateway to regular cigarette use or an ‘on-ramp’ to nicotine.
8. Exhaled myblu aerosol evaporates in seconds; suggesting it creates no air quality issues to bystanders when compared to workplace or general indoor quality standards.
Tobacco-free oral nicotine pouches contain high-purity pharmaceutical grade nicotine, usually sprayed onto a plant fibre-based substrate. These products are used by placing a pouch under the lip, releasing nicotine into the bloodstream via the gum lining (or oral mucosa).
The current scientific evidence suggests nicotine pouches are likely to be significantly less harmful for adult smokers than continuing to smoke because they:
- Neither contain or burn tobacco to release nicotine.
- Deliver nicotine through the gums rather than inhalation, meaning lung-related toxicity and disease risks are not to be expected.
You can view a brochure detailing the totality of our science to-date on zoneX here.
1. Our oral nicotine pouches are understood by adult smokers and non-users aliketo be, whilenot risk-free, potentially less harmful than combustible cigarettes.
2. Levels of select harmful chemicals of public health interest in our high-quality nicotine pouch products are substantially lower compared to tobacco smoke. In fact, the majority of the toxicants tested weren’t present in quantifiable levels.
3. With far fewer toxicants compared to cigarette smoke, our nicotine pouches elicit much lower in vitro toxicity compared to combustible cigarettes with over 99% reduction in cytotoxicity, and no mutagenicity or genotoxicity produced under test conditions.
5. Our clinical research demonstrates our nicotine pouches deliver nicotine to the blood of adult smokers, at a lower and slower rate than cigarettes, consistent with absorption via the oral mucosa. However, our data also shows adult smokers find the product satisfying, reducing their desire to smoke.
6. Our oral nicotine pouches have a favourable short-term safety profile, with no serious adverse events reported during the period of our clinical research.
8. While our nicotine pouches are acceptable to adult smokers, they have very limited appeal among non-users. This includes both younger and older never-users, as well as long-term adult smoker quitters.